Which equipment will work best to register production at the production hall.
How do you use a computer / a tablet at the production hall?
Before we answer this question and make the most optimal choice, let’s remember how a comuter is used at the production hall.
The computer is mailnly used for displaying an updated list of tasks for indicidual machines with a possibility of registration of work progress. Additionaly each employee can check in / check out on entering the manufacture, so you know their exact working times.
The software is using a web browse, that’s why all actions can be done on tablet/smartphone, and Prodio’s servers are responsible for majority of calculations.
Tablet or laptop – what is better?
Using tablets fo registering production:
Tablets have great advantage – they are very easy to install at indivdual machines. They can simply be mounted on the handles and you don’t have to worry about the space need for traditional computer. On top of it, tablets are quite inexpensive, which makes that choice economical.
However if are only at the testing stage of equipment at your production hall, please bear in mind:
- using a tablet isn’t always as comfortable as it looks, because of protective gloves your employees wear very often. It is also very easy to get your device dirty and in that case it might not work properly.
- visibility and clarity – on the bigger computer screen things will be easier to read, then on the small tablet.
- when your employee accidentally minimizes the browser, at the computer the closed window can be brought back with one click of a mouse.
- it is very important to remember a possibility of entering comments into the software ‒ using a cable keyboard connected to a computer guarantees speed and ease.
Using computers to register production:
- Using a computer means having a bigger screen, which results in greater clarity of displayed content.
- One of the indisputable advantages of the computer is an intuitive operation, almost anybody can use it without bigger problems.
- Installation and configuration are easier in comparison with tablets and mobile phones.
- Attachments – if there is a photograph or technical documentation attached to a product, it is much easier and faster to open it on the computer then tablet.
Once you made your choice, what exactly you should buy?
Technical requirements for computers
Technical parameters for computers are not excessive, because their main task is limited to displaying a website, as all calculations are done on sever. For the web browser to wor smoothly is needed:
- 4 GB RAMi processor Intel i3 (when at the computerare going to be displayed many machines, minimal requirent is 8 GB RAM and i5)
- Windows 7 or newer (recommended Windows 10)
- Updated Google Chrome browser
- Notebook’s screen (the bigger, the bettter – the best is 15,6 HD+)
- external monitor (recommended) 22” or bigger (optymally FullHD 24”)
- CABLE KEYBOARD + CABLE MOUSE
Where to buy? After-lease laptops, which fulfill these requirements, usually cost between 600 – 800 zł PLN gross (ex. allegro), computer screen more then 200 zł PLN.
Technical requirements for tablets and mobile phones
Regarding laptops technical parameters, the most important is OTG support funcion for USB, so any type of USB reader could be connected.
The safest way is to buy second hand, flagship models ex. Samsung Galaxy Tab. The same regards mobile phones – it can be even 5-year old model, as long as it has OTG function.
Specific solutions for some industries:
Difficult working conditions and equipment
In case of difficult working conditions at the production hall (it’s dusty and dirty) the best solution is to put the laptop in the drawer or cupboard (to protect it) and leave out at the desk a computer monitor only.
What about field work, assembly team, repairmen? The system we described works online. Thanks to mobile phones with an easier acces to the Internet then tablets, you can use it while working in the field, not just at the manufacture.